Friday, July 20, 2012

Final Thoughts

After exploring embryonic stem cell research and the ethics surrounding this topic, I have concluded that stem cell research is the future of medicine in the regenerative technology field; however the ethical issues attached are something that may never be determined. Meaning, I don’t believe we will ever be able to fully come to a conclusion on if embryonic stem cell research is ethical or not, given different individual morals. I don’t think I’ve found a satisfactory answer to my initial question because of this. This may be an issue that is constantly debated for as long as it’s around and in use, similar to abortion, in that it involves where a life begins. Yet I think that by shedding a light on the vast amount of medical uses that are at our fingertips with this technology, it may become more of a socially accepted medicine practice. I’ve learned more throughout my research about the possibilities and also limitations with this new type of medicine, which has helped mold my research process.

As I continue with my research, I am not exactly sure what my thesis will be for my final project. I still want to do more research on this topic of embryonic stem cell use, and feel I will be able to come up with a thesis in which I can explore further, upon doing so.
For example, I haven’t found what other issues are arising as embryonic stem research progresses. I want to examine more of the medical and social issues surrounding this topic. I hope to see just how all these issues may ultimately determine if regenerative medicine will ever take off and the acceptance it will have, if proven to work. I think all my sources were comparative in the information they gave and their lack of bias, however some suggest more potential uses that others and dive deeper into the ethical issues.
I would like to argue, or rather acknowledge, both the potential uses and limitations regarding embryonic stem cell use. I think this is the best way to go about this issue, given there is really no way to determine if it is ethical or not. I also would like to address the fact that the potentials of regenerative medicine are not fully realized yet, and given the chance, could be beneficial to the world. As I look toward the argument essay, I’m still thinking about how to write this paper in a way where the reader can come to their own conclusion, based on the information I present them with regarding the ethical and medical issues surrounding this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment